Saturday 24 February 2018

Bristol Sound & Vision 2018

By Sophia Agathangelou: I'll update this with the details and reviews later, but for now here are some pictures of the show taken with my iPhone. Suffice it to say that only gear that scored over 7/10 was even considered worth photographing and so here are some highlights.
I was very impressed with the Meze headphones that from my short listen to 'War Pigs' and 'When Doves Cry' seemed balanced and to which I gave an unusually high 9/10 as they were so good for less than £500 and was decidedly unimpressed by the general lack of big quality speakers at the show.


Well done Meze headphones.
Our thanks to Roy Brocington the Meze headphones distributor for kindly demonstrating the Meze 99 classics which as I've said for me were the highlight of the show, excellent quality and balanced sound for such reasonably priced headphones.

Our great thanks to Keith Monks inventor of Discovery record cleaners who showed me how to clean a record with the Discovery 2. The photo underneath shows how it looks inside.
This is the photo of the inside isn't it so cool!

Below the inventor of the new QPlus Reference feet that even though I'm not a great believer in such things actually made a slight difference and improvement to the sound of the record player used in the demo we attended. 






I'm afraid room acoustics or perhaps the updates to the latest anniversary model Harbeth Super HL5 Plus were not ideal this year. We really only included it because it was a previous winner.

It's worth pointing out that many of the exhibitors complained about the poor acoustics of the usual venue for the Bristol show, the Marriott hotel.

In the Emotiva audio room I heard deep rumbling and fantastic high quality sounds as if I was at a good cinema. It was a pleasure to meet and chat with the company's president Dan Laufman who was very kind and his colleagues Lonnie Vaughn and Gaby Lacoba. There audio gear is well worth a listen. I am sorry i couldn't stay longer.


Click on images to enlarge

Please forgive our poor photographic skills and equipment. 
Bye bye.



No comments:

Post a Comment